SCHUYLER R-1 SCHOOL DISTRICT
MINUTES OF BOARD OF EDUCATION
REGULAR SESSION QUEEN CITY, MO THURSDAY, APRIL 15, 2021
Jennifer Pantry, President
Shannon Smith, Vice President
Andy Akers, Member
Wanda Homer, Member
Kirk Newland, Member
Mike Scheib, Member
Kevin Wheeler, Member
Rick Roberts, Interim Superintendent of Schools
Katie Wayman, Elementary Principal
Kyle Windy, High School Principal
Raven Weaver, Director of Special Services
Vickie Pierce, Board Secretary
Tiffany Newland, Director of Finance
CALL TO ORDER – 6:00 p.m.
President Jennifer Pantry called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA – 6:00 p.m.
Shannon Smith moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve the agenda. Motion carried 7-0.
ELECTION RESULTS – 6:00 p.m.
Andy Akers moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to approve the election of Jennifer Pantry and Wanda Homer to the Schuyler R-1 Board of Education. Motion carried 7-0.
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to adjourn the 2020-2021 Board of Education. Motion carried 7-0.
OATH OF OFFICE – 6:01 p.m.
Wanda Homer and Jennifer Pantry took the Oath of Office.
CALL TO ORDER OF THE 2021-2022 BOARD OF EDUCATION – 6:03 p.m.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS – 6:03 p.m.
Shannon Smith moved, seconded by Kirk Newland to elect Jennifer Pantry as Board of Education President. Motion carried 6-0-1.
Wanda Homer moved to elect Andy Akers as Board of Education Vice-President. Motion carried 6-0-1
Mike Scheib moved to elect Vickie Pierce as Board of Education Secretary. Motion carried 7-0.
Jennifer moved to elect Wanda Homer as Board of Education Treasurer. Motion carried 6-0-1.
CHECK SIGNATURE APPROVAL
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to replace Shannon Smith with Andy Akers to authorize to sign checks for the Schuyler R-1 School District. Motion carried 7-0.
QNS presentation (Quality Network Solutions) – 6:05 p.m.
QNS representative spoke to the board about what their IT services provide for school districts. The board will review their proposal and discuss options.
CTS (Control Technology & Solutions) information – 6:25 p.m.
CTS is an energy service company that will also help with safety review of existing structure and systems and any school improvements. The Board of Education will prioritize a list for CTS to put a plan together.
CONSENT AGENDA – 6:47 p.m.
a. Minutes of previous meetings (March 18, 2021)
c. OPAA and Custodian report
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to approve the minutes of the previous meeting. Motion carried 7-0.
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Andy Akers to approve the bills. Motion carried 7-0.
FINANCIAL REPORT – 6:52 p.m. – Tiffany Newland
Total revenue is $475,870 and total expenses are $513,282 for the month of March, 2021. Wanda Homer moved, seconded by Jennifer Pantry to approve the financial report. Motion carried 7-0.
PUBLIC COMMENT TIME – 6:53 p.m.
OLD BUSINESS – 6:53 p.m.
a. Social distancing mandate and mask discussion/update
The board and administration discussed the social distancing and wearing masks at school.
Shannon Smith moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to remove the mask mandate at school and on the buses. Classrooms will still practice social distancing. Motion carried 7-0.
b. Facility Usage Policy/Regulation discussion/changes
Two options were presented to the board and discussed.
Jennifer Pantry moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to table any changes until further review. Motion carried 7-0.
NEW BUSINESS – 6:44 p.m.
a. Varsity track meet scholarship funds
Shannon Smith moved, seconded by Kirk Newland to approve the gate monies from the Varsity track meet (Rachel Morris Memorial Relays) held on April 26th, 2021 to go toward the Rachel Morris Scholarship for Schuyler students. Motion carried 7-0.
b. Approval of the 2021-2022 salary schedules
Andy Akers moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to approve the 2021-2022 salary schedules and to advance staff one step. Administration will have a 4.275% increase. Motion carried 7-0.
c. Approve to adopt the following policies and regulation
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to adopt policy 0311. Motion carried 7-0.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to adopt policy 3165. Motion carried 7-0.
Andy Akers moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to adopt policy 4120. Motion carried 7-0.
Wanda Homer moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to adopt regulation 3165. Motion carried 7-0.
Wanda Homer moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to approve the resignation of teacher MAKENZIE DANIELS. Motion carried 7-0.
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve the resignation of para CECILY REESE. Motion carried 7-0.
e. The next regular board meeting will be May 20, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL – Katie Wayman – 7:27 p.m.
March Enrollment PK-6: 337 March Attendance K-6: 95.29%
● April 15-16 & 22-23 Preschool Screenings
● April 20 Kindergarten Screenings, Title & PTO Meeting at 6:00 ● April 21 Administrative Professional Day, 4th Quarter Midterm
● April 22 3rd/4th Grades Spring Program at 7:00
● April 29 Elementary Parent-Teacher Conferences 4:00-7:00
● May 4-7 Teacher Appreciation Week
● May 4 6th Grade Science Fair, 5th/6th Spring Program at 7:00
● May 5 Nurse’s Day
● May 7 School Lunch Hero Day
● May 11-14 Book Fair
● May 14 1st Grade Field Trip, 3rd Grade Field Trip, 5th Grade Field Trip
● May 17 NO SCHOOL
● May 18 Track & Field Day, PK Field Trip
● May 20-21 6th Grade Ancient Civilization Museum
● May 20 2nd Grade Field Trip, Board Meeting at 6:00
● May 24 SCHOOL IN SESSION, 6th Grade Promotion at 6:00
● May 25 (rain date for T & F Day)
● May 26 6th Grade Field Trip
● May 27 Last Day, Dismissal at 1:20
● May 28 NO SCHOOL
● Our 4th Annual Kindness Week was March 29-April 1. Many students participated in the dress up days and daily Kindness Challenges.
● In lieu of Rams Student Leaders, our sixth grade students have been assisting Mrs. Kaden with projects around the school and for the community this year. They made Easter cards for Schuyler County Nursing Home residents. They plan to make paper May Day baskets next month.
● 3rd-6th grade MAP testing is scheduled for April 27-May 13.
Summer school will be June 7-30 8:00-3:30. This time includes free breakfast and lunch through the SFSP program. Enrollment forms are due Friday.
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL’S REPORT – Kyle Windy – 7:29 p.m.
Enrollment numbers: Junior/Senior High 234
Attendance for March: 91.69%
Year to Date Attendance: 94.40%
90/90 Rule: 83%
MAP Test Dates: May 18th – May 25th
EOC Test Dates: May 5th – May 14th
· 13 seniors in the Schuyler R-1 graduating class will be presenting their Senior Capstone Project (SCP) to the public on May 12th, 2021 from 4:30 – 6:30 PM in the Schuyler R-1 High School commons. The Four Pillars covered in their Senior Capstones are: Paper (Research), Project (mentoring/project/product/process), Portfolio (preparation for the
work world), and Presentation (overall project). You are cordially invited to attend, visit with the students, listen to their presentations, and ask questions.
· April 20th – Senior Night BB & Golf
· April 23rd – Blood Drive 2:00 – 6:00 (Student Council)
· April 24th – 5:00 Grand March & 8:00 – 10:30 Dance
· April 26th – 1:30 Rachel Morris Relays
· May 7th – Spring Concert 7:00
· May 12th – English IV class will be displaying their portfolios, projects, and presentations in the commons. Doors will be open from 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM.
· May 14th – Senior Reward Day
· May 14th – FFA Banquet
· May 17th – Junior High Sports Banquet 6:30
· May 23rd – Graduation 2:00
· May 25th – High School Sports Banquet 6:30
· May 26th – 7th thru 11th grade Reward Day
· May 27th –Last day of school, Early Out 1:15
SPECIAL SERVICES DIRECTOR – Raven Weaver – 7:29 p.m.
Raven reported on the Sped student count and that they are doing Pre K screenings.
SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT – Interim Rick Roberts – 7:31 p.m.
See old and new business.
REQUEST FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION – 7:36 p.m.
Shannon Smith moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to go into executive session as provided in Rs.Mo.610.021 (3, 13) (Personnel Issues). Motion carried 7-0 by roll call vote: Kirk Newland – yes; Shannon Smith – yes; Andy Akers – yes; Mike Scheib – yes; Kevin Wheeler – yes; Wanda Homer – yes; and Jennifer Pantry – yes.
Return to regular agenda – 8:38 p.m.
Support staff hire:
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to employ the following:
RENAE FARNSWORTH, LORAINE FOWLER, CHELSEA JACKSON and LAURIE NAGEL as Clerical Staff; CHELSEA HALLEY as LPN; AVERY JONES as Transportation Director; VICKIE PIERCE as Executive Assistant; MIKE GIBSON as ISS Monitor; BECKY DOUGLAS as Parents as Teachers Educator; and
ALAENA ALDRIDGE, JENNIFER DARNELL, BARBARA FOWLER, BRENDA FOWLER, SHELBY GARRETT, SHANNON LONG, HAYLE MIDDLETON, CARRIE
ORR, BRENDA SCHMITTER, JACKIE SCHUBERT, LAYNEE SHAW, KENDRA TALBERT, and TERRI WOBKEN as para professionals; and
WAYNE ANDERSON, JOHN BROWNELL, ED HOGARTH, TWILA HOGARTH, FRANK MILLER, DENNIS PARTIN, AMY SHOTTEN, JR. SHOTTEN, SHEILA WHEELER, TERRY WHEELER, KERMITTA WILSON and GARY YEARNS as bus drivers; and
TOMMY ROBERTS as contracted Technology Director; and
DENNIS CRABTREE as Director of Custodians and BRUCE JACKSON, MURRY McCOY, and CHRISTIAN HARRIS as custodians.
Motion carried for all 7-0.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to employ TIFFANY NEWLAND as Director of Finance and DIANE SCHEIB as a para. Motion carried 5-0-2 (Kirk Newland and Mike Scheib).
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Andy Akers to employ ASHLEY BULECHEK as a custodian. Motion carried 7-0
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to table the emergency extra duty positions until May. Motion carried 7-0.
ADJOURNMENT – 8:40 p.m.
Andy Akers moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to adjourn. Motio