SCHUYLER R-1 SCHOOL DISTRICT
MINUTES OF BOARD OF EDUCATION
REGULAR SESSION QUEEN CITY, MO THURSDAY, MARCH 18, 2021
Jennifer Pantry, President-arrived by zoom 6:35 p.m.
Shannon Smith, Vice President
Andy Akers, Member
Wanda Homer, Member
Kirk Newland, Member
Mike Scheib, Member
Kevin Wheeler, Member
Rick Roberts, Interim Superintendent of Schools
Katie Wayman, Elementary Principal
Kyle Windy, High School Principal
Raven Weaver, Director of Special Services
Vickie Pierce, Board Secretary
Tiffany Newland, Director of Finance
CALL TO ORDER – 6:00 p.m.
Vice-President Shannon Smith called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA – 6:00 p.m.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve the agenda. Motion carried 6-0.
CONSENT AGENDA – 6:00 p.m.
a. Minutes of previous meeting (February 18, 2021)
c. OPAA report & custodial report
Andy Akers moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to approve the minutes of the previous meeting. Motion carried 6-0.
Wanda Homer moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to approve the bills. Motion carried 6-0.
FINANCIAL REPORT – Tiffany Newland- 6:03 p.m.
Total revenue is $1,420,889 and total expenses are $516,058 for the month of February, 2021.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Andy Akers to approve the financial report. Motion carried 6-0.
PUBLIC COMMENT TIME – 6:04 p.m.
Thank you notes were received from the Sheila Wheeler family, Chuck Carpenter family, and Gary Yearns family.
OLD BUSINESS – 6:05 p.m.
a. Social distancing mandate and mask discussion/update
The board and administration discussed the social distancing and wearing masks at school. There has been a slight increase of positive Covid-19 cases and staff and students being quarantined for the month of March. The procedures that were put in place will continue, and the board will review the subject at the April meeting.
b. Facility Usage Policy/Regulation discussion/changes
The committee met and will put plans and procedures down on paper for the board to review.
NEW BUSINESS – 6:07 p.m.
a. Approval by Consent Agenda the Following Program Evaluations
1. ELL Program LAU Plan
2. Title I & Consolidated Federal Programs
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to approve the ELL Program LAU Plan and Title I & Consolidated Federal Programs evaluations. Motion carried 6-0.
b. Bus Purchase
Kirk Newland moved, seconded by Andy Akers to lease purchase three 2022 buses, on a five year lease purchase from Midwest Transit. Motion carried 6-0.
c. Summer School
Wanda Homer moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to approve summer school for 2021. Motion carried 6-0.
d. Early Retirement Incentive Discussion
The board will revisit this in the fall.
e. Approval to Amend the 2020-21 School Calendar
Wanda Homer moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to approve to amend the 2020-21 school calendar and remove two school days in May. The exact dates will be determined by the administration. Motion carried 6-0.
f. Approval of the 2021-2022 School Calendar
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Andy Akers to approve the 2021-2022 school calendar. Motion carried 6-0. Hours for school will be 8:00 a.m. to 3:32p.m. for elementary and 7:55 a.m. to 3:27 p.m. for the high school.
g. Approval of Resignations
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve the resignation of AMY FINKE. Motion carried 6-0.
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Kirk Newland to approve the resignation of COLEY HANES. Motion carried 6-0.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Andy Akers to approve the resignation of HOLLY FISCHER. Motion carried 6-0.
h. Approval of Additional Substitutes
Kirk Newland moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve Alyson Burnstead, Levi Cullifer, Matthew Greer, Hailey Lawrence, Jennifer Steele, and Jenna Walsh as substitutes for the 2020-2021 school year. Motion carried 6-0.
i. April Meeting: April 15, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL’S REPORT– Katie Wayman – 6:30 p.m.
February Enrollment K-6: 303
February Attendance: 95.58%
● March 25 Kindergarten Spring Program at 7:00
● March 29 School in Session
● April 2 No School
● April 6 1st/2nd Grades Spring Program at 7:00
● April 12 Professional Development Day
● April 15-16 & 22-23 Preschool Screenings
● April 22 3rd/4th Grades Spring Program at 7:00
● May 4 5th/6th Grades Spring Program at 7:00
● 3rd Quarter Midterm Parent-Teacher Conference Attendance — 51.9%
● 3rd-6th grade MAP testing is scheduled for April 27-May 13.
● Teachers are working to organize safe and educational field trips for PK-6th students this spring.
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL’S REPORT – Kyle Windy – 6:31 p.m.
• Enrollment numbers: Junior/Senior School 237
• Attendance for February: 93%
• Attendance for 2020/21: 94.955
• 90/90 Rule: 85.8%
• On February 23rd FCCLA members Madison Blackorby, Xavia Cullers, Kelsey Tallman, and Kyra Cullers and Advisor Ms. Steen traveled to Macon to attend 2021/2022 Region 3 Officer Elections. Schuyler was represented well this year with 2 voters and 2 running for office. Kyra Cullers was voted in as Vice President of Region 3 and Xavia Cullers was voted in as VP of Community Service and Scholarships. Running for office consist of applying and filling out an application, a knowledge test, a speech, and a situational question. Voters score on the knowledge test, speech and questions. Top score receives president, next highest receives vice president, and so forth. One of the duties of Regional Vice President is hosting regional STAR Events (Students Taking Action with Recognition). January 2021 Schuyler gets the honor of holding this event. STAR Events consist of over 30 different competitive categories at 3 different levels. Each year around 150 competitors from 15 area counties travel to compete. Approximately 70 volunteers will be needed for this all-day event to be successful. On March 16, Kristin Ward, Xavia Cullers, Kyra Cullers, and Ms. Steen will travel to Macon for Kyra and Xavia to be sworn into office. Kristin will be recognized as an outgoing officer for 2020/2021.
• All-Conference 2nd Team-Trevyn Small
All-District By the Coaches Association
All-Conference 1st Team Jacie Morris
2nd Team- MaKinley Aeschliman
3rd Team- Kaitlyn Hatfield
All-District By the Coaches Association
Jacie Morris and MaKinley Aeschliman
• Mar. 22nd Spring Sports Pictures 10:00
• April 2nd -5th Spring Break
• April 9th JH Track Meet 3:20
• April 12th Professional Development
SPECIAL SERVICES DIRECTOR’S REPORT – Raven Weaver – 6:30 p.m. – absent
Schuyler R-1 School District is providing special education services to
PK (3-5 yrs): 18 students
K-6: 49 students
7-12: 30 students
Early Childhood Special Education Preschool Screenings
Please call the school, if you do not already have your child on our list.
We are currently in the process of scheduling our preschool screenings.
CHILD must be 4 years of age prior to August 1, 2021.
Contact Mrs. Weaver for more information.
SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT – Rick Roberts – 6:31 p.m.
See old and new business.
REQUEST FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION – 6:32 p.m.
Andy Akers moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to go into executive session as provided in Rs.Mo.610.021 (3, 13) (Personnel Issues). Motion carried 6-0 by roll call vote: Kirk Newland – yes; Shannon Smith – yes; Andy Akers – yes; Mike Scheib – yes; Kevin Wheeler – yes; and Wanda Homer – yes.
Jennifer Pantry joined by zoom – 6:35 p.m.
RETURN TO REGULAR SESSION – 7:52 p.m.
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to approve the following tenured teachers for the 2021-2022 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
CERTIFIED TEACHERS– TENURED
Les Aeschliman, Anita Amen, Carolyn Applegate, Julie Blessing, Kate Brummit, Samantha Brush, Jana Dalton, Jessica Daniels, Darla Dixon, Becky Douglas, Andrea Frederick, Amy Garr, Kristina Garrett, Tiffany Harris, Linda Jackson, Robin Jackson, Jenny Kaden, Ryan Kaden, Tammy King, Thomas Kirkland, Jessica Kliethermes, Gina Michael, Frank Miller, Jamie Morlan, Christina Myers, Alena Poe, Sharon Priebe, Shayla Spring, Jeanne Steen, Mary Stuart, Laci Tallman, Kathy Thompson, Darla Veatch, Kara Wolf, Brad Worth, and Lisa Worth.
Kirk Newland moved, seconded by Andy Akers to approve the following non-tenured teachers for the 2021-2022 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
CERTIFIED TEACHERS– NON TENURED
Haley Armstrong, Charles Carpenter, Heather Carvajal, Ashten Davis, Julia Erwin, Melody Farley, Matt Kliethermes, Tina Leslie, Amanda Maize, Chloe Mayhew, Stacy O’Haver, Jessica Osborn, Lucinda Perrilles, Chris Prewitt, Drew Randolph, Morgan Roberts, and Shelby Salter.
Kevin Wheeer moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve the following to be tenured for the 2021-2022 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
TENURED WITH THE 2021-2022 CONTRACT
Renee Buescher, Makenzie Daniels, and Ed Koser
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve Sara Smith as a certified tenured teacher for the 2021-2022 school year. Motion carried 6-0-1 (Shannon Smith).
EXTENDED SCHOOL YEAR CONTRACTS
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to approve the following extended year contracts for the 2021-2022 school year: Motion carried 7-0. Karley McCollum – 50 days, Sharon Priebe – 7 ½ days, Jeanne Steen – 3 days, and Stacy O’Haver – 20 days.
Andy Akers moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to employ the following for extra duties, motion carried 7-0. COREY RANDALL, ED KOSER, AARON OKENFELS, BRAD WORTH, THOMAS KIRKLAND, CHRIS PREWITT, CECILY REESE, SHELBY SALTER, CHARLES CARPENTER, SHARON PRIEBE, AMANDA MAIZE, RAVEN WEAVER, KARLEY MCCOLLUM, LES AESCHLIMAN, JEANNE STEEN, RYAN KADEN, JAMIE MORLAN, STACY O’HAVER, KARA WOLF, JULIE BLESSING, DARLA DIXON, LAYNEE SHAW, and KATIE WAYMAN
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve the extra duty contracts of SARA SMITH and TIFFANY NEWLAND. Motion carried 5-0-2 (Shannon Smith and Kirk Newland).
ADJOURNMENT – 7:57 p.m.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to adjourn. Motion carried 7-0.