During sub-zero temperatures, the Greentop Fire Department battled to extinguish a house fire on Sunday, February 14, 2021. The department received a call around 4:30 p.m. about smoke coming from one of the walls at a home on 202 West Sixth Street.
According to Fire Chief John Newland, upon arrival, they found that not only was there smoke in an outside wall, but smoke was also coming up through the floor in the bathroom. The emergency crew quickly cut a hole in the floor, to put out the smoldering floor joists, before they could cause more damage to the home. The firemen had to cut a 4×8 hole in the wall to reach and stop the insulation fire from spreading.
Newland reported that the occupants were trying to thaw out their pipes, when the insulation caught on fire, causing the fire to quickly spread.
The house was saved and with a some patching of the outside wall hole, the residents were able to stay in their home.
There were no injuries from the house fire