SCHUYLER R-1 SCHOOL DISTRICT
MINUTES OF BOARD OF EDUCATION
REGULAR SESSION QUEEN CITY, MO THURSDAY AUGUST 20, 2020
Jennifer Pantry, President
Shannon Smith, Vice President
Andy Akers, Member
Wanda Homer, Member
Kirk Newland, Member
Mike Scheib, Member
Kevin Wheeler, Member
Steve Carvajal, Superintendent of Schools
Katie Wayman, Elementary Principal
Raven Weaver, Director of Special Services
Kyle Windy, High School Principal
Vickie Pierce, Secretary
Tiffany Newland, Director of Finance
CALL TO ORDER – 6:00 p.m.
President Jennifer Pantry called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
AMEND AGENDA – 6:00 p.m.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to amend the agenda and add (J) Facility Improvements. Motion carried 7-0.
APPROVAL OF AMENDED AGENDA – 6:00 p.m.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Andy Akers to approve the amended agenda. Motion carried 7-0.
TAX LEVY HEARING – 6:00 p.m.
The tax levy information was given by Superintendent Carvajal.
APPROVAL OF TAX LEVY FOR 2020-2021 – 6:03 p.m.
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to set the tax rate for 2020-21 at $3.4202 for the operating levy, and $0.7798 for the debt service levy for a total rate of $4.2000. Motion carried 7-0.
CONSENT AGENDA – 6:05 p.m.
a. Minutes of previous meeting (July 23, 2020)
c OPAA report & Custodial report
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve the minutes of the previous meeting. Motion carried 7-0.
Shannon Smith moved, seconded by Andy Akers, to approve the bills. Motion carried 7-0.
FINANCIAL REPORT – 6:08 p.m. – Tiffany Newland
Total revenue is $182,777 and total expenses are $280,983 for the month of July 2020.
Shannon Smith moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to approve the financial report. Motion carried 7-0.
PUBLIC COMMENT TIME – 6:08 p.m. – none
OLD BUSINESS – 6:08 p.m. – no old business
NEW BUSINESS – 6:08 p.m.
AMEND AGENDA – 6:00 p.m.
Andy Akers moved, seconded by Kirk Newland to amend the agenda and add (K) substitute teacher pay. Motion carried 7-0.
a. Approval of the Annual Secretary of the Board Report for the 2019-2020 school year.
Shannon Smith moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to approve the Annual Secretary of the Board report for the 2019-2020 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
b. Compliance Plan
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to approve the 2020-2021 local compliance plan. Motion carried 7-0.
c. Custodian of Records
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to approve VICKIE PIERCE as the custodian of records. Motion carried 7-0.
d. Parents as Teachers approval
Jennifer Pantry moved, seconded by Kirk Newland to approve BECKY DOUGLAS as the Parents As Teachers Educator. Motion carried 7-0.
e. Custodian approval
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Kevin Wheeler to approve BRUCE JACKSON as a custodian. Motion carried 7-0.
Wanda Homer moved, seconded by Andy Akers to approve Heather Davis and Rachel Eggers as substitutes.
g. Approval of bus routes
Kirk Newland moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to approve the bus routes for 2020-2021. Motion carried 7-0.
h. Scoreboard sponsorship discussion
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Mike Scheib to move this discussion to executive session Rs.Mo.610.021 (3, 13) (Personnel). Motion carried 7-0 by roll call vote: Kirk Newland – yes; Shannon Smith – yes; Andy Akers – yes; Mike Scheib – yes; Kevin Wheeler – yes; and Wanda Homer – yes and Jennifer Pantry – yes.
i. September meeting will be Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
j. Facility Improvements
Kevin Wheeler requested itemized listings of bills, bids, and quotes for the latest facility improvements.
k. Retired & certified teacher substitutes
Mike Scheib moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to pay retired teachers or certified teachers that are substituting $100/day. This will be for a limited time, during the 2020-2021 school year.
ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL – Katie Wayman – 6:28 p.m.
Enrollment PK-6 (as of 8/14/20): 339
● Each grade level team will have a virtual Parent Meeting.
● August 25 FIRST DAY
● September 4 School Picture Day
● September 10, 15, and 17 Health Screenings
● September 11 Grandparents’ Day Celebration 2:30-3:30 (tentative)
● September 14 PD Day
● We will kick off the year with PBS expectations and an in-class school-wide celebration. We will also be going over handwashing and hygiene tips and safety drills.
● School is back in session on the 25th!
● Mrs. Dixon was awarded a $500 scholarship for elementary music from Missouri Retired Teachers Association (MRTA). She is going to purchase keyboards.
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL – Kyle Windy – 6:30 p.m.
Enrollment numbers: Junior/Senior High 235
• Dual credit: 19 juniors and seniors are one or more dual credit courses this semester.
• Aug. 25th – 1st Day of School
• Aug. 31st – Senior Night Softball
• Aug. 31st – Fall Sport Pictures
• Sept. 4th – School Pictures
• Sept. 4th – Senior Night Fall Sports
SPECIAL SERVICES DIRECTOR – Raven Weaver – 6:33 p.m.
● Schuyler R-1 school district has received a letter from The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) informing us that our public agency’s determination category is Meets Requirements in Implementing the Requirements and Purposes of the IDEA, and to provide a brief summary of the regulatory requirements related to these determinations, as well as information about the date that was used to make this determination. The Special Services staff was very pleased to hear this good news and should be commended for a job well done.
● I have been collaborating with partner agencies including Mark Twain Behavioral Health, Preferred Family Health Care, Senate Bill 40, Kirksville Regional Center, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Kirksville Area Technical Center, Glenwood Headstart, and others to coordinate services for our students for the upcoming school year.
● The Special Education staff has been preparing for students to come back and begin services. They have been meeting with our service providers along with general education teachers and grade-level teams.
● The Northeast Local Administrators of Special Education (LASE) has been selected by the Missouri Council of Administrators of Special Education (MO-CASE) for the recognition of Outstanding LASE Award. The award winners were selected based on groups that provide outstanding services to its members, and support for MO-CASE and CASE initiatives on behalf of students with disabilities.
SUPERINTENDENT – Steve Carvajal – 6:35 p.m.
Everyone has been really busy getting ready for the first day of school. There have been some HVAC issues that are being repaired. There are sanitation stations throughout the school district, hands free faucets have been installed, gravel parking lots have been bladed, and we have received many new computers purchased with the CARES monies.
REQUEST FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION – 6:49 p.m.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Shannon Smith to go into executive session as provided in Rs.Mo.610.021 (3, 13) (Personnel Issues). Motion carried 7-0 by roll call vote: Kirk Newland – yes; Shannon Smith – yes; Andy Akers – yes; Mike Scheib – yes; Kevin Wheeler – yes; and Wanda Homer – yes and Jennifer Pantry – yes.
RETURN TO REGULAR SESSION – 7:45 p.m.
ADJOURNMENT – 7:45 p.m.
Kevin Wheeler moved, seconded by Wanda Homer to adjourn. Motion carried 7-0.